Satchmo Status Update

Satchmo Still Going Strong

Despite the lack of activity on the satchmo site, there is still plenty of work going on to make Satchmo more stable, feature rich and generally all around better. It's true that we haven't had a release as recently as we would like, it's more a matter of taking the time to do it than some magical feature component in development.

Status Updates

As I looked back since the last release, here are a few stats on the "health" of the community:

While I would definitely like to have had more releases, the project is still very much alive and maintained. In the future, the best place to see the activity on the project is to look on bitbucket.

Going Forward

If you are interested in helping out, one of the best things you can do at this point is checkout satchmo tip and report any bugs you find. Overall, we're closing in on a release but it's more a matter of my time than anything else. If you can help verify things work correctly in your environment, then we'll be closer to a release.

Thanks for everyone's help and support!

Posted on March 29, 2011 by chris django satchmo

8 Comments

Ben Keating commented on March 31, 2011 at 4:12 p.m.:
Sounds good. Were here, just quiet. keep up the good work.

Todd commented on April 4, 2011 at 2:11 p.m.:
Great to hear - thanks!

Brian commented on April 6, 2011 at 8:50 a.m.:
Thank you! Keep up the good work

Richie commented on April 16, 2011 at 11:55 p.m.:
Thanks, been waiting on a new release for quite a while now. If I am less busy I would be glad to help, keep it up!

Scott commented on April 24, 2011 at 7:10 p.m.:
Proud to say that I am one of those 92 stores. Keep up the excellent work.

Babul commented on May 13, 2011 at 9:22 a.m.:
I made my first store back in 2008, which is still going. But frankly as much as I'd love to see Satchmo do well (as there is no real ecommerce platform for python), it is still a PITA for a lot of people to setup and get working out of the box. I run a WordPress MultiUser install too, and notice though the ecommerce offerings are weak in comparison, they atleast work with little setup needed and also the whole WordPress framework encourages a lot of plugins too. Hence, I'd suggest creating an easy way to setup satchmo *with a good looking dummy store, content, and maybe theme* already installed to help user adoption and uptake and create a community around Satchmo, as frankly without any groundswell in creating community, the project may not take off as per your desire, and as demonstrated per recent history. Thanks

chris commented on May 20, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.:
@Babul - I agree, that we need to clean it up so it looks a lot nicer out of the box. Unfortunately, that's just not my area of expertise so anyone that can help out, should let me know and we'll see what we can do. Thanks.

Arthur commented on May 24, 2011 at 9:46 p.m.:
@chris Don't worry about how it looks. You guys have an amazing thing going on here. I last looked at Satchmo a couple of years ago. Now I've finally had a chance to start using it to build a site, and I am amazed at how much progress has been made during this time. FRankly, I don't care about how it looks out of the box. The important thing is that it is rock solid, full of features, and easy to customize.

Reply to original: